Washington, D.C. — Today, Engage Cuba announced the creation of the Engage Cuba Policy Council, a group comprised of renowned Cuba policy experts who will provide their expertise to inform the organization’s work. Amid the complex dynamics of U.S.-Cuba politics, the Engage Cuba Policy Council will be uniquely situated to draw from their combined experiences in academia, policy and professional practice to provide unique insights into the opportunities and challenges emerging as the U.S.-Cuba relationship continues to progress. In coordination with the council launch, Engage Cuba Policy Council Advisors are contributing to a special Huffington Post blog series on U.S.-Cuba relations.
“We are incredibly excited to bring together this array of leaders who have worked on Cuba and Latin American issues for decades and bring a depth of international policy experience to Engage Cuba,” said James Williams, President of Engage Cuba. “The Engage Cuba Policy Council will be a resource to all who are looking to understand the nuanced history and policy issues between the U.S. and Cuba.”
The inaugural Engage Cuba Policy Council Advisors are:
- Christopher Sabatini, Columbia University and President, Global Americans
- Emily Parker, Fellow at New America and author of "Now I Know Who My Comrades Are: Voices From the Internet Underground"
- Eric Leenson, President of SOL² Economics
- Guillermo Grenier, FIU Professor
- John McIntire, Chairman, Cuba Emprende Foundation
- Kirby Jones, President of Alamar Associates
- Margaret Crahan, Senior Research Scholar and Director of the Cuba Program at the Institute for Latin American Studies at Columbia University
- Mario Bronfman, Consultant on Cuba at the Ford Foundation and Former Representative for Mexico and Central America
- Michael Parmly, Fundación Amistad and Former Chief of the U.S. Interests Section in Havana
- Pedro Freyre, Chair of Akerman LLP's International Practice and Lecturer at Law, Columbia Law School
- Philip Peters, Co-Founder of D17 Strategies and President of the Cuba Research Center
- Richard Feinberg, Professor, University of California, San Diego and Senior Fellow (non-resident), Brookings Institution
- Simon Rosenberg, President and Founder of NDN
- Ted Henken, Former President of the Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy (ASCE) and Baruch College (CUNY) Professor
- Ted Piccone, Senior Fellow in Foreign Policy, Latin America Initiative, Brookings Institution
- Tomas Bilbao, Managing Director at Avila Strategies LLC
- Vicki Huddleston, Ambassador (ret.)
- William LeoGrande, Professor of Government, School of Public Affairs, American University
Click here to access the special Huffington Post series produced in partnership with Engage Cuba and to read more from Engage Cuba Policy Council Advisors. Throughout the week, Ted Henken, Emily Parker, Michael Parmly, Tomas Bilbao and Margaret Crahan and will posting their thoughts exclusively through this Huffington Post series on a host of issues ranging from Cuban entrepreneurship to economic and cultural development on the Island.