Director of Public Policy
Location: Washington, DC
Engage Cuba’s D.C. office is seeking a Director of Public Policy to lead our federal advocacy efforts. The Director of Public Policy would develop and coordinate the legislative and public policy strategy for our national coalition and stakeholder groups. Additionally, the Director of Public Policy would work with the state outreach team to organize our national network of local leaders to promote U.S.-Cuba engagement.
- Monitor and analyze relevant activity on Capitol Hill and in the executive branch.
- Develop and implement a strategy for advancing policy goals with key decision-makers in the legislative and executive branch.
- Represent the policy priorities of Engage Cuba, stakeholder groups and over 500 local partners to lawmakers, administration officials, and their staff.
- Serve as main liaison to offices of our Congressional allies and develop relationships with target Congressional offices.
- Foster relationships with key members of the Administration and industry groups.
- Research and report on trade and export control policy issues and their effect on member companies.
- Advise member executives on implications of pending administration policies.
- Represent Engage Cuba at national, state and local conferences and forums relevant to U.S.-Cuba policy.
- At least 5 years of government, Capitol Hill or public policy experience, particularly in the areas of foreign relations, agriculture or international trade.
- Three or more years of supervisory or management experience.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus, but not required.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Please send an email with the subject line “Director of Public Policy” to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, cover letter and a writing sample.
Engage Cuba provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability. In addition to federal law requirements, Engage Cuba complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
Engage Cuba is always looking for passionate undergraduate interns to join our team for the spring, fall, and summer terms. If interested in an internship posting, please send a resume and cover letter to Gabrielle Jorgensen at email@example.com.
Spring 2018 COMMUNICATIONS INTERNSHIP
Engage Cuba will seek a communications intern for the spring of 2018. This position is part-time and unpaid, based at our office in Washington, DC.
- Assisting our communications team in drafting press releases, blog posts, etc.;
- Making updates to our website;
- Managing databases of reporters and other press contacts;
- Tracking mentions and other articles of interest for social media;
- Assisting with administrative tasks and event staffing;
- Researching policy and political questions as needed;
- Other support tasks as directed—the context for our work is always changing!
- Current college student or recent graduate;
- Experience with communications, public relations, or related field;
- Demonstrated interest in U.S. foreign policy and/or politics of Latin America/Caribbean;
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and graphic design is a plus.
This position is part-time, 15 hours per week. Transportation subsidy will be provided.
Engage Cuba is the leading coalition of private companies and organizations working to end the travel and trade embargo on Cuba. As a 501(c)(4) bipartisan non-profit whose funds are entirely dedicated to advocacy efforts, Engage Cuba is the only organization whose focus is U.S.-Cuba legislative advocacy. Engage Cuba is also committed to supporting the Cuban people and helping organizations and businesses navigate Cuban and U.S. regulations. The organization has the largest bipartisan lobbying operation working on U.S.-Cuba policy. Together with the Engage Cuba Policy Council of renowned experts, Engage Cuba provides timely updates on opportunities for U.S. business in Cuba, regulations, and market analysis. To get involved with Engage Cuba’s mission or learn more, visit: http://www.engagecuba.org.