Director of Communications and Outreach
Engage Cuba is currently looking for an experienced Director of Communications and Outreach. The Director of Communications and Outreach will work closely with the President to develop and implement a communications strategy in national, state, and local markets. The Director will also serve as Engage Cuba’s main point of contact for members of our growing State Councils.
Ideal candidates will have a background in political communications and media relations as well as experience with digital communications and social media. S/he must demonstrate excellent writing skills and the ability to understand and communicate complicated U.S.-Cuba policies.
Spanish fluency is strongly preferred for this position.
- Work with the President to create and implement the organization’s strategic communications plan;
- Oversee message development for the Engage Cuba coalition;
- Provide comprehensive media support for the launch of new State Councils;
- Develop relationships with key reporters and pitch stories to national media outlets, including print, radio and television;
- Manage Engage Cuba's digital communications and social media platforms, including maintaining Engage Cuba’s website;
- Draft all official Engage Cuba correspondence, including rapid responses, press releases, media advisories, op-eds, talking points, and emails to national network of State Council members; and
- Compile daily press clips and supervise press interns.
- Minimum of 2-3 years communications experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, political science or a related field.
- Spanish fluency preferred.
- Experience in writing and executing a communications plan.
- Experience in developing press contacts, maintaining press releases and pitching stories to national and local markets.
- Demonstrated interest in U.S.-Cuba relations.
- Experience in digital communications, photography and video editing, and Squarespace strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Please send an email with the subject line “Director of Communications & Outreach” to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, cover letter and three writing samples.
Engage Cuba provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability. In addition to federal law requirements, Engage Cuba complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
Engage Cuba is always looking for passionate undergraduate interns to join our team for the spring, fall, and summer terms. If interested in an internship posting, please send a resume and cover letter to Gabrielle Jorgensen at email@example.com.
FALL 2018 COMMUNICATIONS INTERNSHIP
Engage Cuba seeks a communications intern for the spring of 2018. This position is part-time and unpaid, based at our office in Washington, DC.
- Assisting our communications team in drafting press releases, blog posts, etc.;
- Making updates to our website;
- Managing databases of reporters and other press contacts;
- Tracking mentions and other articles of interest for social media;
- Assisting with administrative tasks and event staffing;
- Researching policy and political questions as needed;
- Other support tasks as directed—the context for our work is always changing!
- Current college student or recent graduate;
- Experience with communications, public relations, or related field;
- Demonstrated interest in U.S. foreign policy and/or politics of Latin America/Caribbean;
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and graphic design is a plus.
This position is part-time, 15 hours per week. Transportation subsidy will be provided.
Engage Cuba is the leading coalition of private companies and organizations working to end the travel and trade embargo on Cuba. As a 501(c)(4) bipartisan non-profit whose funds are entirely dedicated to advocacy efforts, Engage Cuba is the only organization whose focus is U.S.-Cuba legislative advocacy. Engage Cuba is also committed to supporting the Cuban people and helping organizations and businesses navigate Cuban and U.S. regulations. The organization has the largest bipartisan lobbying operation working on U.S.-Cuba policy. To learn more, visit: http://www.engagecuba.org.